In partnership with unions, immigration attorneys, and community organizations, our Citizenship Workshop aims to provide one-on-one assistance for legal permanent residents who want to apply for U.S. citizenship. The Citizenship Workshop is entirely free and provides:
- Free one-on-one assistance in filling out the N-400 (Naturalization Form)
- Free legal consultation (only on your citizenship process)
- Education materials
- Fee waiver information
Eligibility requirements for naturalization:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a legal permanent resident for at least 5 years, or, if you are married to a U.S. citizen, you must have been a legal permanent resident for 3 years
- Must have basic knowledge of US government and history
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand basic English*
- Must have a good moral character
- Applicants are responsible for the $725 filing/fingerprints fee.
- Personal checks or money orders are payable to the Department of Homeland Security. Find out if you qualify for the Fee Waiver.
- Applicants may participate in the Citizenship Workshop and delay actual payment of application fee.
*You are exempt from taking the English test if you are over age 50 at the time of your application and you have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 20 years, OR if you are over 55 at the time of your application and you have lived as a permanent resident in the country for 15 years. If you are exempt from the English test, you will still need to take the civics test, but you can take it in your native language.
If you have met these requirements, register for our next Citizenship Workshop.
Please call The Legal Clinic if you have any questions: 808-797-2325. Or email us.